RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Map Editor Progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to be able to have access to all versions of Cartographer for future reference. If your host does not allow you the space, you can always try hosting it on the www.winbolo.us FTP site.

I definitely love, love, love the filters. I'm also looking forward to using the sticky feature. It's definitely less work to copy and paste objects rather than having to do it all by hand (nudges early Acro maps) but still can be a pain (especially if you're constantly checking how your map looks as a whole).

However, I'd still like to stress that I mostly want to see a working map editor that has an undo feature. While that's not the only thing that I want, it's definitely #1 on my wish list.

Unmentioned items on my wish list are:

a) An image translator: This enables you to copy an image from say, MS Paint, and then paste it into the map editor. When you're done, the thumbnail will look like a rough rendition of the image.

b) Two files for each saved map. One file will be the Winbolo map file. Two clicks and you've got Winbolo open with your map of choice and you're set to go. The other file will be the Cartographer file. Two clicks and Cartographer will open with that map. This was also done in BMapEdit, which saved you the trouble of having to go to the Open menu every time you wished to edit a map.

c) A thumbnail picture, much like Winbolo has in its Open menu. As you're going along selecting maps, it'd be nice to get a rough idea of what you're going to open. I've got thousands of maps on my computer, I hardly can recall what they all exactly are. A little thumbnail left of the open menu would help.

d) I'd like, if possible, for the thumbnail to be a little window of its own. Or perhaps you could have the option of either it being a floater or a window of its own. Whatever works for you. My problem with it being a floating window is that you cannot re-access it if you close it down merely by clicking on the taskbar. It is merely a matter of convienience, not really high priority.

I also do not see the starts or mines. Am I missing something? I'm pretty damn sure I've got the right copy open---I see "filters" on the top menu.[/b]
ianbanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo is a done deal. The undo you can use on filters will carry through to any other features:

An abstract "map" object is used internally, and anything that wants to change the map loaded in to the editor has to go through it.

If anything (pens, filters, fills, etc) attempts to modify the map, the changes are automatically intercepted by the "Undo Manager" and recorded in the list of multiple level undo's.

So basically, it is now impossible to write a tool/filter/etc in Cartographer that does not support undo. Smile
Min

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you just need to implement a undo history list, so you can view all the changes you've made, and undo to any point without frantically pressing the undo button ..... and of course .. making it so there is more undo's in the undo buffer thingy ... I wasn't very happy with only getting like 100 undo's ...

Min
ianbanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Tools, tools and more tools Reply with quote

I haven't released an update yet, however you might like to know that the following has been implemented:

* A floating palette with the different tiles, including craters.
* Flood filling an area. Lots of fun to apply to existing maps!
* Freehand drawing (tile by tile)
* Drawing lines (diagonal included).
* Drawing rectangles (Like the Bolo Reich tool).
* Drawing ellipses.
* Three thumbnail colour schemes, "Winbolo Artistic", "Bolo Reich Vintage" and "Cartographer Realistic". Your settings are saved for the next time you run Cartographer.
* An "Earthquake" filter.
* Copying the thumbnail to the clipboard or saving it to a file (using your selected thumbnail colour scheme).

Here's a shot of me flood filling the concentric frames around Acro's "(Jotul) Initiative":

(Apologies to Acro for defacing his fine map!)
sheeps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally was able to have a closer look and I am impressed with whats there so far. The filters will add a lot of creativity to map variation.

It's also nice to see a coder that has a good creative eye. Your logo has a nice clean (mac-like) look

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see pill firing range added in. Are you thinking of added in a "paintbucket" feature to fill-and-replace a certain type of terrain?

And what are your thoughts of going open-source once you are done?

- sheeps
Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a "launch map" button? I'd also like to have a warning that informs you if your map has no starts.
Acro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, a dummy siren?

*BEEP* You screwed up
*BEEP* You moron
*BEEP* Get outta here, you pathetic excuse for a mapmaker.

Hrm, maybe that's a lil' over the top. Very Happy
ianbanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova wrote:

I also do not see the starts or mines. Am I missing something? I'm pretty damn sure I've got the right copy open---I see "filters" on the top menu.

Nova,

Are you running Windows 95/98/ME? It turns out that masked image painting (so that you can just draw the pixels in a mine or start tile that you need) isn't supported directly except in Windows NT/2000/XP.

I'll have to revisit map painting an put in a workaround for Windows 95, etc.
Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianbanks wrote:
Nova wrote:

I also do not see the starts or mines. Am I missing something? I'm pretty damn sure I've got the right copy open---I see "filters" on the top menu.

Nova,

Are you running Windows 95/98/ME? It turns out that masked image painting (so that you can just draw the pixels in a mine or start tile that you need) isn't supported directly except in Windows NT/2000/XP.

I'll have to revisit map painting an put in a workaround for Windows 95, etc.

Yeah, I'm running ME (mistake edition).
Acro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I've been slamming ME for years and never heard that one.
~suicide~

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it Microsoft Edition, since Microsoft's OSs are trash. Well I'll give this to them, they make nice keyboards and mice.lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, despite crappy systems that like to crash, they look pretty pimp.... and they have nice graphics (for windows and such and such)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: