MemberlistMemberlist

UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Strict and Tournament Rules.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Min

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Strict and Tournament Rules. Reply with quote

Ok, this is a general information post. It seems that we all need to be reminded of the proper way to conduct strict and tournament games. These rules are not guidelines, they aren't something that can be followed once in awhile, and ignored other times. This is how things are done. The rules are designed to ensure fair and fun gameplay for everyone playing.

Rule 1
Do not start playing until people join, teams are decided, made, the game is locked and the go is called. If you should choose to ignore this rule and start playing. The usual response is everyone who joins after you will create a massive team against you and smash you into the ground so quickly you may as well not even have tried. If you become a repeat offender of this nature, your access to the game servers could be revoked. For those of you who do not understand what the go is, its simple. 1........2.........3...........go!!! is the typical way the game is called.

Rule 2
Do not farm before you see the go scroll. This rule is simple to understand, if you decide to farm before everyone else this gives you an advantage. This means its unfair for everyone else. This is not acceptable.

Rule 3
Do not jump the go. Wait until the word go enters your scroll bar before doing anything. Do not accelerate, do not farm, do not collect 200 dollars. Do not move until the word go is seen. The only movement allowed before the game starts is to get onto the correct side for the teams that were created. Some people seem to be under the impression that moving is allowed the moment they see someone start calling, this is incorrect. Do not move until you see the go on your message bar.

Rule 4
Do not start on land. This means if for whatever reason your pushed onto land (people starting on top of you can do it sometimes) drive into deep water, and respawn. There is no exceptions to this rule. If your on land, waiting for everyone else to take a base before going is still unacceptable. There are no excuses, if your on land, die, respawn and drive back to your side, tell everyone else to wait before calling. It happens sometimes, people will understand.

edit:
Rule 5
If you join a strict game, and you notice bases are taken, just quit, the game is in progress. Someone probably forgot to lock, or unlocked to allow a player who dropped connection to rejoin. It happens, don't screw the game up for them, find a new game to play. Or start your own game.

Ok, that's the basic rules of strict and tournament games. If you do not follow these rules your access to all game servers can and will be revoked. How long it is revoked for is up to the owner of the game server in question and of course, how bad the offense was.

Typically the way things like this get dealt with is simple, if you offend, we try to talk to you about it. If you act reasonably, understand the rules and agree to no longer misbehave, then great. Otherwise, sorry, we don't want you ruining the game for everyone else.

Happy boloing.

Min

Last edited by Min on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Min

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Other things. Reply with quote

I'd also like to mention relating to this post some other things.

First
Mining. Mining is allowed in strict games, its something that typically occurs when you are running away from someone and want to hinder them chasing you. Or when you ran out of ammo and only have mines left. Or whatever. Alot of players do not like mining, and tend to complain about it. however, mining is perfectly legal and allowable in all strict and tournament games.

Second
Tree killing. Tree killing is also allowed in strict and tournament games. However similarly to mining, people don't like it. Alot of people think that in a uneven game such as a 3x2 or a 2x1 or whatever that tree killing is not allowed. This is incorrect. Its not very nice, and tends to make people very upset. But its perfectly alright to do. People just get very upset about it because they feel its not very fair. So make your decision to tree killing based on weither you want to deal with them complaining at you about it afterwords.

Now, about open games. In open games there are no rules. Period. Your allowed to ally 'early' regardless of what gameboy says about it. Your allowed to mass ally if you wish, your allowed to do whatever. There are no rules. Which is why they are open games.

That's about all.

Min
Min

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While searching my harddrive for strategy files, I found this which sums this stuff up nicely.

Quote:
1. don't start before the call
2. don't farm before go
3. don't start on land
4. don't move before you see the GO
5. if your playing a 1x1x1 DON"T ally once you have no stuff left, either quit, or make trouble for someone in their backfield. you started a 1x1x1 you should finish the 1x1x1.
6. if you join a game that has every base taken and its a strict, simply LEAVE, don't beg for someone to ally you. you'll just ruin the base refuel and lag the game up for everyone else.
7. play the game to the end. if you felt you've lost the game, be considerate of your allies who might want to keep trying, play until you can't refuel. if you DO decide to quit. don't just quit. concede before quiting so people KNOW that you've quit and not dropped from the game.

So, here are some additional things to keep in mind.
hellscream

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if oak can be banned from minbot.

He has been notorious since....forever???....for joining stricts and just starting....taking bases etc...

He understands English well....it is not a language problem. He just refuses to follow the rules.

[/u]
zach

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if we should publicly be telling newbs it is okay to strip mine and deforrest in stricts... I think anyone who has had an epic hour or so game would agree that most often it ruins the game. I'm not saying make it a bannable offense, just don't use words like "acceptable" or "legal", which could be construed as "good" or even "legitimate" strategy...
Min

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zach wrote:
I don't know if we should publicly be telling newbs it is okay to strip mine and deforrest in stricts... I think anyone who has had an epic hour or so game would agree that most often it ruins the game. I'm not saying make it a bannable offense, just don't use words like "acceptable" or "legal", which could be construed as "good" or even "legitimate" strategy...

Sorry, but it is a good and legitimate strategy when used correctly. If they want to mine, let them mine. They'll just waste their time if they aren't being effective.

I've had epic 3+ hour games. I regularly had 1+ hour games with highly skill players. Every one of those games involved using mines by both players. Deforesting is a perfectly acceptable tactic. Some people just don't like it. You'll find those same people don't like mines.

I'm certainly not going to downplay the strategic effectiveness of mining or deforesting simply because some of you guys don't like it very much.

Min
Min

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: .... Reply with quote

hellscream wrote:
I'm just wondering if oak can be banned from minbot

Ya, I noticed that other thread, just haven't dealt with it yet. Figured I'd post this message and if he does it after this, let me know he will be immediately banned.

Min
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zach wrote:

It depends on what your ends are. If you want to try and win a game using an Agent Orange strategy then go for it. But shouldn't they be trying to learn, instead?

I'm one of the strip-miners and deforesters you're talking about. Drop 8 mines in front of gameboy and see what he does. There's a time and a place for those tactics. Most of my games I don't use them, but I understand that by dropping a line of mines between the opposing team's bases and their pill line, I am causing them to either tarmac the craters - which, in turn, forces them to use up their trees - or, as in most cases, drive over and around craters since I notice that few people tarmac these days.
Nemokrad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: .... Reply with quote

Min wrote:

Ya, I noticed that other thread, just haven't dealt with it yet. Figured I'd post this message and if he does it after this, let me know he will be immediately banned.

Just FYI, he doesn't speak English so it's not like he can understand what we are telling him to do.
hellscream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: .... Reply with quote

Nemokrad wrote:

Just FYI, he doesn't speak English so it's not like he can understand what we are telling him to do.

Nope he does. He has talked to me in english. Lucas also knows him personally (they are from the same vicinity in Taipei, Taiwan). Lucas has told him not to do what he does.

Oak is just very selective about when he actually responds to criticisms/comments. They are very few and far between. Sometimes he will also put up a random comment in a game normally following a twisted sense of humour. Again also pretty rare. Others may have seen this.

He can definitely read and understand and type english. Just because many of you haven't seen him do it, doesn't mean he can't.

He has just been an ass because so far he has been able to get away with it.
bigdrinker15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: irc Reply with quote

I want 2 get irc but I am not sure how.Can u help me out?
bigdrinker15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need i got it now thanks anyway Laughing
Nemokrad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/winboloirc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: